SABAH - LAND OF THE ORANG UTAN (Tour Code 23)
5 Days 4 Nights
DAY 1 HOME / KINABATANGAN RIVER
Arrive Sandakan Airport, transfer 1.5 hours journey to the village of Sukau at the Kinabatangan River where the greatest concentration of wildlife in Malaysia and possibly all of Borneo, can be found. River cruise to Sungai Menanggul to watch the curious proboscis monkeys gather by the river bank. A good chance to see numerous species of birds and other wildlife until nightfall. Stay overnight at the riverside traditional style lodge. (Lunch / dinner)
DAY 2 KINABATANGAN RIVER
Boat trips for the day at the river to view numerous species of wildlife such as orang utans, macaques, red and silver leaf monkeys, elephants, hornbills, crocodiles, civet cats, otters and the most famous creature: the proboscis monkey. Found only in Borneo, the male of this species has a large pendulous nose, fat belly, thick white tail and webbed feet. The bird life includes egret, kingfisher, oriental darter, bee-eater, hornbill and many more. Stay overnight at the riverside traditional style lodge. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner included)
DAY 3 KINABATANGAN RIVER / GOMANTONG CAVES / LABUK BAY SANCTUARY / SEPILOK
Morning visit the Gomantong Caves where the bizarre edible bird's nest is harvested as they have been for hundreds of years. The caves are also home to more than a million bats. The birdlife around the cave is particularly rich, with crested serpent eagles, kingfishers, Asian fairy bluebirds and leaf birds often sighted.
Proceed to Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary. This privately-owned sanctuary located within an oil palm estate gives you the chance to observe the unique Proboscis Monkey up-close and personal. The remarkable males spot big dangling noses and pot bellies. You will have a chance to observe the Proboscis Monkeys both young and adults leaping from tree to tree and eventually coming down to feed on young leaves, plants and rice cakes.
Transfer to and overnight at a resort at Sepilok. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner included)
DAY 4 SEPILOK: - ORANG UTAN CENTRE / BEAR CENTRE / RAINFOREST DISCOVERY CENTRE
Morning, depart to the famous Sepilok Orang Utan Centre. Founded in the Centre helps once captive orang utans learn to climb and fend for themselves in the wild with the hope that one day they may return to the forest. The semi-wild orang utans may return to the platform provided by the Centre for milk and bananas twice a day during the process of returning to the forest. Visitors will get a close up view of these orang utans and have the chance to photograph them at close range. Witness the feeding of the orphaned orang utans, visiting the information centre, exhibits and video presentation on the rehab of these remarkable primates.
Visit to the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre. It is a wildlife conservation and research centre for improving animal welfare and rehabilitation of Malayan Sun Bear (Helarctos Malayanus). It also aims to raise public awareness about the plight of the Sun bears and to raise conservation awareness about this species. The bears here are rescued and rehabilitated so they can eventually take their proper place in the rain forest.
Visitors will get to view from high level platform and see them going about their daily routines, playing, eating, climbing trees and other things. You might also have good opportunity to get some nice pictures from higher up.
Visit the information centre, AV room for video presentation on these endangered species and smallest bear on earth.
Visit the nearby Rainforest Discovery Centre (RDC) which has evolved has evolved from a small, cosy environmental educational centre in 1996 into one of Sabah's most popular centres. It is located within the famous Kabili-Sepilok Forest Reserve, home of the orang-utans Rehabilitation Centre. Here, you can walk along the network of beautiful trails and paths that are ideal for bird watching and discover the huge dipterocarp trees that are well known in Borneo. Discover the rainforest from the tree tops along a 343 metre-long Suspension Bridge and from the ground.
Overnight at a resort at Sepilok. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner included)
DAY 5 SEPILOK / SANDAKAN / AIRPORT
After breakfast, depart for brief City Tour of Sandakan. Transfer to the Observation Pavilion for a bird eye view of the town. Proceed to the Central Market where produce from the hinterland and fresh seafood are on sale here. The Market is also the focal point for socialising among the locals. Drive to the Chinese Temple where you can see the colourful interior decoration of this magnificent temple. Located on a hill it provides a commanding view. Continue the journey to St.Michael's Church where you can see a colonial style building where Christianity is preached. Drive to Sim Sim where you can see houses on stilts above the water occupied by local tribes.
Visits the Australian Prisoner of War Memorial, where the infamous Sandakan - Ranau Marches commenced in 1945. A commemorative pavilion holds educational material and includes a scale model of the original POW camp. A path winds through the park past preserved wartime relics and towards the obelisk of black granite, erected to commemorate those who has sacrificed.
Transfer to Sandakan Airport for your departure flight to Kota Kinabalu or Kuala Lumpur. (Breakfast / Lunch included)
How to book this holiday?
Our tour prices are based on: -
- Adults sharing a twin or triple (with extra bed) room basis.
- Per adult basis inclusive of all taxes.
- Varying numbers of adults travelling together as a small group in a private vehicle as per product options - Select - Twin or Triple Share (no of pax).
- Minimum number is 2 adults in a group staying in a twin share room.
- If sharing a twin share room is not the choice you would prefer, then you will stay in 2 single rooms by purchasing 2 Single Room Supplement as per product options - Select - Single Room Supplement.
- If you prefer to be a single traveler, you will stay in a single room by purchasing 2 adults as per product options - Select - Twin or Triple Share (no of pax).
- If sharing a triple room is not ideal for you, you can stay in a twin and a single room by purchasing 1 Single Room Supplement as per product options - Select - Single Room Supplement.
- The hotels allow double room if you do not prefer a twin room.
- Children under 12 years old can travel with minimum 2 adults in a twin share room by purchasing number of children as per product options - Select - Children (max 2 child per room). The hotels allow a total of 2 children staying in a twin room.
- Children staying in a Twin Share room will be treated as an adult.
- After you have paid for the total purchases by debit or credit cards, a receipt will be issued to you as proof of payment, together with details of your purchases and an itinerary as per the selected package will be attached for your easy reference. Please note day 1 on the itinerary will be the date as selected to commence the tour.
- Should you require to cancel your booking, please refer to our “Terms of service” under “Help” section on the top right-hand corner of the home page.
- Please advise us your incoming and outgoing flight details so that airport transfers can be arranged for you.